Man Ignites Fire at Gas Station By Burning A Spider

If you’re scared of spiders, the best way to deal with the critter is to burn it with a lighter, right? Well, probably not if you are at gas station.

This man was so overcome by arachnophobia that he forgot to use common sense. While filling up his tank at a local Mobil Station in Center Line, Michigan, he spotted a big spider near his gas cap and instinctively reached for his cigarette lighter to burn it.

The tiny flame ignited a huge fire which eventually damaged the gas pump.

Employee Susan Adams saw the whole thing happened and said:

“He didn’t have a cigarette. He didn’t have anything on him. All of a sudden I look out and I see flames.”

She immediately alerted the local fire department but the spider-phobic guy already put out the flame with a fire extinguisher before they even arrived. Amazingly, the man left unscathed from the incident.

You can watch the video here:

It’s funny to watch but let this be a warning for anyone who uses a lighter while refueling at a gas station.

Safety at Gas Stations

Gas, as we all know, is highly flammable that’s why it is important to observe safety precautions. Accidents can be avoided if you will follow these simple but often neglected tips:

1) When refueling, turn off your engine.
2) Do not smoke, use lighters, or light matches.
3) Keep gasoline and fuels out of children’s reach.
4) Turn off your mobile phone, computer, and other electronic devices.
5) After filling up, do not immediately pull the nozzle out of the tank to prevent drips.
6) When using a portable container, do not fill it while it is in or on the vehicle. Place it on the ground first. Fill it with only about 95% to leave extra room for expansion.
7) Always wash hands after handling gasoline.