If you’ve been wondering why photos of semicolon tattoos have filled your social media feed, then you’re not alone.
The Semicolon tattoo has definitely become a trend on social media users and the reason why will surprise you.
Several social media users, particularly youngsters, decided to ink themselves with the punctuation mark to express their support to The Semicolon Project, a nonprofit mental health organisation. Anyone who has been through anxiety, depression, or had suicidal thoughts can freely draw semicolon on their wrists in order to raise awareness about mental health conditions.
In its website, it said: ”A semicolon represents a sentence the author could have ended, but chose not to. That author is you and the sentence is your life.”
“By writing a semicolon on your wrist, you are making a promise to yourself that it is ok to reach out and seek for help.”
Many of those who expressed their support to the project also included their own moving stories in the caption of their photos.
How to Help Someone Suffering from Depression
Depression can happen to anyone and can affect people from all walks of life. It can happen to your parents, siblings, friends, your spouse, or even your children.
A serious medical condition that affects millions of people, depression is a treatable disorder. With proper medical treatment and support from the people around the them, people with this condition can recover and live a normal life.
Here are some helpful tips from Health.
- Help them get medical treatment.
- Get active in their care and show your support during their treatment.
- Take time to listen.
- Work extra hard and encourage them to join you in your daily activities.
- Recognize their daily achievements and small success.
- Research about depression.
- Get involved with support services in your community.
- Encourage them to visit their doctors regularly.
- Pay attention to their needs.
- Don’t forget to look after your own emotional health.