One of the most common types of headache is the tension-type, which is often caused by stress, skipping meals or impaired sleep. When you have a tension headache, you experience a constant pressure or ache around the head particularly at the back of head and neck as well as the temples. Health conditions such as vision problems, eye strains, overexertion or muscle strains due to improper posture may also result to tension headache, according to Medicine.net.
Medications such as antidepressants and antiseizure agents are often prescribed by physicians to reduce the frequency and severity of headaches. However, many people use over-the-counter drugs like ibuprofen or aspirin to treat tension headaches.
But for those who want to go the safe and natural way, there are natural home remedies to fight headache. Here are some of them, according to Top 10 Home Remedies.
Using Coriander or Mint Leaves
- Crush the leaves of a handful of mint or coriander to extract juice.
- Apply the extract on your temples or forehead for relief.
Using Lemon and Ginger Juice
- Mix equal parts of lemon and ginger juice.
- Drink the mixture once or twice a day.
Using Dry Ginger
- Mix one teaspoon of dry ginger and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Apply the resulting paste to your temples or forehead to alleviate pain.
- You may also use a heated ginger paste if you don’t have dry ginger.
- You need to consult a doctor if your headache is accompanied by symptoms such as loss of balance, loss of consciousness, stiff neck, mental or speech disturbances and numbness.
- Eat bananas or apple with a sprinkle of salt if you often experience headaches.
- You may drink pomegranate juice to get rid of headache and nausea.
- You can also apply ice pack on your temples, forehead and back of the neck to alleviate the pain.