Sleep paralysis involves awakening from sleep and not being able to move or talk. It feels like a mysterious presence is floating over your bed, or a heavy thing has been sitting on your chest. Sleep paralysis is seriously one of the strangest and most frightening phenomenon produced by the human brain. Some people think it is caused by the presence of evil, an alien abduction or even the devil!
Usually, a normal sleeper’s brain and body activity will slow down as he or she enters into a deep sleep, before increasing in speed again as the sleeper enters the rapid eye movement sleep (REM). Most vivid dreaming occurs in REM sleep and this sequence between sleep stages, takes about an hour and a half to a couple of hours and recurs many times throughout a night.
There is no identified specific reason why people experience sleep paralysis, but it mostly occurs when a person has irregular sleeping patterns, is sleep deprived, or sleeping on one’s back.
Here are some facts you might want to know about sleep paralysis:
1. Sleep paralysis is the isolated period of calm in which voluntary muscle movement is withdrawn yet eye and respiratory movements are intact.
2. In a sleep paralysis episode, one cannot speak.
3. The body, legs and even the head cannot be moved. However, one is able to breathe normally and is aware of what is happening around him.
4. The episode of sleep paralysis can last from a few seconds to even a lot of minutes.
5. Sleep paralysis usually begins to happen when one is in his teens. It happens more often between the ages of 20 to 30 and continue in later years.
6. It can run in families. The biggest factor of sleep paralysis is lack of sleep, schedule change, and sleeping on the back.
7. Often, sleep paralysis is attributed to an evil beings, unseen demons in ancient times, and alien abductors.
8. When a person is already aware that he is experiencing a sleep paralysis episode, he can stop it by wiggling toes, clenching his fist, or coughing for help.
9. Sleep paralysis occurs when the mind is partly awake but the body remains asleep.
10. This can be the most terrifying to experience, but has no serious medical risks. The only damage it can cause that may have an effect in the long run is becoming sleep deprived.
11. Sleep paralysis can happen in both stages of sleep- trying to sleep and waking up.
12. During episodes of sleep paralysis, a person can feel a loud bang or explosion in his head (waves crashing against rocks) or horrifying whispers (frightening words from other worldly beings wishing the person death). Some feel pressure or a choking sensation accompanied by breathing difficulties which rise into sexual molestation or assault.
As scary as these facts are, it can be a relief to know that there really is no evidence that sleep paralysis can kill. With enough sleep and an ample amount of rest, one can avoid these terrifying episodes of sleep paralysis.
What can you Say?
Pet Dog Expresses Outrage After Owner Jokingly Copies Her Panting
Woman Flirts with Guy after Hitting His Car in Accident
Resolve Unpaid Loans With These Budgeting Tips
Disappointed Kid Goes Viral after Baby Didn’t Come Out from Gender Reveal Balloon
Guy Hopes to Cross Borders Before Dad with Dementia Forgets Him
6-Year-Old Skater Princess in Pink Dress Goes Viral with Impressive Moves
How to Write a Business Essay: Tips for Better Writing
Sweet Video of Dad, Daughter Playing “Rock Paper Scissors” Game Goes Viral
Puto Vendor in Ivana Alawi Prank Moves to New Home after Getting Help from YouTube Star
Indian Railway Worker’s Dramatic Rescue of Child from Oncoming Train Goes Viral
- Business2 weeks ago
10 Best Ways to Find a Reliable Business Partner
- Lifestyle2 weeks ago
This Cat Officially Works as Car Model, Earns $1,500 Per Appearance
- Home Improvement2 weeks ago
Man Takes Home an Abandoned Sofa, Finds Money and Gold Inside
- Lifestyle2 weeks ago
Caught on Camera: Dad’s Angry Reaction to Gender Reveal Goes Viral
- Health2 weeks ago
Dad Slams Gov’t after Daughter Needed Painful COVID-19 Test Because Schools Reopened
- Food1 week ago
After Receiving Biscuit, Girl Happily Returns to Community Pantry to Give Vegetables
- Food1 week ago
Filipino Kid Receives Full Scholarship after Donating Camote (Sweet Potatoes) to Community Pantry
- Videos1 week ago
Hilarious Video of Cat ‘Cleaning’ the House Goes Viral