They’re considered to be among the world’s superfoods, but what happens if you eat bananas every day? Let’s look at the health benefits and top risks of eating this healthy food on a daily basis.
Health Benefits When You Eat Bananas Every Day
Considered a superfood, bananas are packed with plenty of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals:
- They’re a rich source of potassium, a mineral and electrolyte that helps keep your heart beating, promotes normal muscle contractions, and regulates blood pressure.
- While a serving of banana contains around 450 mg of potassium, it has 0% sodium known for its ill effects on blood pressure.
- Bananas are also rich in antioxidants that can protect you from the sun’s harmful UV rays.
- Due to their high vitamin B6 levels, bananas are also believed to help in weight loss, production of white blood cells, and strengthening the nervous system.
- Also rich in tryptophans that are converted by the body to serotonin, a mood-elevating brain neurotransmitter, bananas can help improve your mood and prevent depression, anxiety, or other mood disorders.
- Rich in fiber content, they can help promote weight loss and reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Some studies even suggest that regular banana consumption can help reduce cancer risks, particularly kidney cancer.
With bananas having so many nutrients, it’s easy to deduce that eating them every day can have many health benefits to your body. They can promote better heart, brain, nervous system, immune system, and overall health.
Health Risks of Eating Bananas Every Day
While bananas are good for your health, it’s still best to eat them in moderation. There aren’t significant side effects to eating bananas daily but in excess, they can trigger headaches, fatigue, and sleepiness.
As a sugary fruit, it can lead to tooth decay if you don’t practice proper dental hygiene after each meal.
Eating bananas in excess of two pieces per day (and especially if you eat too much, such as a dozen!) can lead to an overload of vitamins and minerals that your body might not process properly.
Bananas contain magnesium, a muscle relaxant that can cause harm if found in excess levels in your body.
Overconsumption of potassium can lead to a condition called hyperkalemia, which causes irregular heartbeat, temporary paralysis, and muscle weakness.
You can eat bananas every day but do it in moderation. Don’t eat more than 2 pieces per day, and make sure to drink plenty of water and practice good dental hygiene.