Typhoon “Karen” Also Struck the PH in 2008, before Ginebra Won PBA Championship

MANILA. Philippines- Typhoon Karen (international name: Sarika) devastated some parts of Northern Luzon and Central Luzon over the weekend but its coming may come as a good omen for Ginebra fans. Apparently, a similarly-named typhoon also hit the country  in 2008 just Barangay Ginebra Gin Kings won a PBA championship.

Carlo Pamintuan of Sports 5 shared news clips of his interesting discovery on his Twitter account with the caption:  “8 years ago, a typhoon named Karen also entered the Philippines before Ginebra Ging Kings won the championship. Will history repeat itself?”


PHOTO CREDIT: Twitter/ Carlo Pamintuan

In 2008, typhoon Karen (international name: Nuri) took the lives of 12 people and affected about 300,000 people particularly on Northern Luzon. While signal No. 3 was up over six provinces due to typhoon Karen, Ginebra won the 2008 Fiesta Conference title against Air21 in Game 7 held on August 20, 2008.

It was the last time Ginebra Gin Kings earned a title.

Eight years later, typhoon Karen was once again linked with the popular PBA team as it threatened to postpone Game 5 of the 2016 Oppo PBA Governors’ Cup finals. The crucial game proceeded with Ginebra beating the Meralco Bolts 92-81 taking a 3-2 lead on Sunday, October 16 at the Smart Araneta Colisuem.

Ginebra Gin Kings is now only one win away from ending its 8-year title drought. The two teams are set to compete for Game 6 on Wednesday, October 19 at the Big Dome.

Ginebra Coach Tim Cone Fined for Statements “Detrimental to the League”

Barangay Ginebra San Miguel coach Tim Cone was fined P10,000 for “issuing statements detrimental to the league” during the Oppo PBA Governors’ Cup finals.

Although PBA didn’t specify Cone’s statement, it is believed that Cone airing his frustration over the officiating in Game 3 was the reason why he was sanctioned.

During the post-game press conference, Cone lamented over the way referees treated Sol Mercado, who picked up 6 fouls in 10 to 12 minutes of play.

“I felt today the referees had an eagle-eye on him tonight. The stuff that he was doing last game he couldn’t do tonight,” Cone said.