In the wake of the many things that has happened in the Philippines these past weeks after Pres. Rodrigo Duterte took the helm as head of state, many of his supporters received bashing from anti-Duterte groups who could not help but point out this rough-and-tough guy’s many faults.
Indeed, there were many who are now having second thoughts and expressing regrets for voting this guy into office.
On the other hand, there were also those who were staunch supporters of Duterte’s opponents who have changed their minds when he finally did a lot of things that they found amazing, including the 911 emergency hotline, the controversial drug war, and many others.
Social media user Jean Marnelli is among those who shared on Facebook how she felt ‘embarrassed’ for voting Duterte into office – but it’s not the way you think.
Here’s the text of Jean Marnelli’s post which has since gone viral on Facebook:
I was asked if I am experiencing buyer’s remorse, having voted for such an uncouth president.
I am embarrassed.
Because it had to take this crass and ill mannered man for me to finally see:
- The jobless and maltreated OFWs stranded in the Middle East finally coming home. News broke out on this as early as 2009. There are 9000 of them. First batch flew in August this year.
- A one-stop-shop established for the OFWs and the ending of Tanim-Bala.
- A government branch that finally implemented the FOI.
- A crack down on mining malpractices with 4 mines suspended to date and more coming as the government has just completed its audit.
- Centralized and nationwide Emergency Response Team (911) and Citizen Complaint Hotline (8888)
- The gates of the DAR opened after being shut for more than a decade.
- A signed indefinite ceasefire agreement.
- An actual war against drugs. Say what you want about it but for every politician that said they were fighting it, this is the first time I can actually see it happening.
- An increase in the allowance of Filipino athletes representing us in the Olympics.
- A president that has command responsibility and is willing to take the hit for his men which is driving increased morale in our police and military forces. Remember the lack of ownership during SAF44 and the HK Tourist Bus Hostage Crisis?
- A president who is arrogant enough to lead this small archipelago like it was the best country in the world and stand up to the powers that be. If you’ve travelled outside, you’d know that the Philippine Passport is an almost powerless passport. I do not know where he gets his nerve. I think in his heart and mind, he really believes this is the best country in the world. That’s crazy. We all know we’re not.
You know what’s most annoying? His potty-mouthed presidency is just 69 days old.
Now, being a well-mannered big fan of perception management and word choice, I am now asking myself–
What did I actually DO for my country in the last 69 days aside from grudgingly pay taxes and post commentaries like this on FB?
Damn you, Duterte. Why can’t you just be lip service like everyone else?