To prevent people from littering the streets of London, environmental charity Hubbub came up with a brilliant solution using a one-of-a-kind cigarette bin.
As part of the #neatstreets campaign, Hubbub set-up a clever project that will allow smokers to cast their votes on various topics using cigarette butts. Smokers simply need to put the cigarette butts inside the transparent divided containers placed in public places.
Aside from the unique cigarette bins, the campaign also used creative approaches to tackle the issue of littering. For instance, they put up specially designed boards that encourage gum-chewers to stick their gums there. Also, they introduced a device that plays music when a cigarette butt is inserted.
“Our public polling discovered that a staggering 86 per cent of people think littering is a disgusting habit yet only 15 per cent of us would actually confront someone and tell them that,” Hubbub said on their page.
Ways to Quit Smoking
Ditching the habit of smoking presents many health benefits. Within hours of quitting smoking, your blood pressure, heart rate and body temperature return to healthier levels. Quitting helps you breathe easier and makes you less likely to get wrinkles while you’re still young.
Here are some ways that will make you say no to cigarettes, according to WebMD.
- Behavioral therapy– In some cases, certain emotions or situations may make you want to smoke. If you have this kind of smoking triggers, it is best that you see a counsellor who can help you quit smoking.
- Cold turkey– Believe it or not, 90% of people who want to quit smoking do it without the help of medicine, aids, or therapy. However, it is not the most effective and successful way to do so as only 4% to 7% are able to quit by doing this method alone.
- Medicine– Your doctor may prescribe drugs such as Chantix and Zyban that will help you quit smoking.
- Nicotine replacement therapy– This method employs the use of nicotine gum, sprays, inhalers, patches, and lozenges that work by giving you nicotine without the use of tobacco.
- Combo treatments– It can be more effective if you try using a variety of methods to quit smoking. For instance, you can combine behavioural therapy with nicotine replacement therapy. Consult a doctor if you opt to have this kind of treatment.