Arranged marriages exist in many countries worldwide including India, Pakistan, Japan, China and Israel. Instead of tying the knot because of pure romantic love, marriages are arranged for practical purposes.
Of course, this system of marriage has its pros and cons.
A groom from China who attempted to drown himself as means to escape his “ugly” bride showed to us the downside of arranged marriages.
Kang Hu, 33, was not really impressed after seeing Bride Na Sun, his 30-year-old bride for the first time. After apologising to Na, Kang fled the ceremony held in Shiyan City in China and attempted to do the unthinkable.
Hours later, the runaway groom was found floating in the river bank. He was unconscious and fully clothed when he was rescued. Kang was rushed to a nearby hospital where his condition was declared stable.
In an interview, Kang revealed why he opted to commit suicide rather than marry Na.
“I feel bad about what happened but when I saw her she wasn’t what I had expected and I realised she would be bad for my image.”
“My parents had arranged this and I couldn’t see any way out apart from suicide,” he added.
Arranged Marriages in China
Although arranged marriages are not very common in China these days, some families still practice this old tradition.
There are several stages involved in this system of marriage in Chinese culture. Here are some of them:
- Information gathering– The groom’s family conducts an investigation on the reputation and social status of the bride’s family. In addition, the groom’s family researches about the character, personality and behaviour of the bride.
- Negotiation – Whether direct or through a middleman, both families negotiate on the amount of dowry and the number of tables allocated for each family during the wedding.
- Engagement– Once negotiations are finalized, a dinner is held to announce the couple’s wedding. Usually, the future bride and groom exchange rings at this event.
- Wedding dowry– The bride’s family accepts the dowry from the groom’s family in exchange for the loss of their daughter.
- Wedding– A wedding ceremony and a banquet are held for the couple. Several Chinese traditions are observed in this event.
What can you Say?
Lost Puppy Reunites with Owner after Going to Their Usual Vet for Help
Florida Sheriff’s Deputy Goes Viral as He Shares Dinner with Homeless Man
Netizens Help Deaf-Mute GrabFood Rider Find Motorcycle, Raise Funds to Help Him Out
Student Who Collected Garbage to Support Family, Earns a Place in Harvard Law School
Staying Healthy While Working From Home
Woman Drags 100-Year-Old Mom’s Cot to Bank, Manager Insisted Physical Verification
Grandson Gives Mouth-to-Mouth Resuscitation to COVID-Positive Grandma
Loving Boyfriend Surprises GF, Checks Out Her Entire Online Shopping Cart
Delivery Rider Brings His Pet Cats to Work, Cute Photos Go Viral
Pinoy Vlogger Shares Videos of Dream House Built with Earnings from Gaming
- Videos1 week ago
Massive Bird of Prey Spotted Carrying Shark It Plucked Out of the Ocean
- Funny Videos2 weeks ago
Sneaky Dog Turns Electric Fan to Face Its Cage on Hot Day
- Funny Videos2 weeks ago
Vikachka & Eugene Funny Video Shows Lithunian Speaking Only Tagalog to BF’s Family
- Lifestyle1 week ago
Teenager Cries after Friends Chipped in to Buy Him a New iPhone
- News5 days ago
Woman Shames Starbucks Employee, Now Wants Part of $100k He Got from Netizens
- News6 days ago
Kids Go Viral for Swimming with Crocodile at the Beach
- Lifestyle2 weeks ago
Woman Leaves Dog at Groomer, Receives Dog with Hilarious Haircut
- Health1 week ago
Thai School Repurposes Ballot Boxes, Creates Shields to Impose Social Distancing