For years, Amanda Scarpinati had lived with scars all over her body because of the accident she suffered as a 3-month-old baby. Prior to the accident, Amanda was sick; thus, her family placed her on the couch while a steam vaporizer was placed below to help her breathe.
Unfortunately, she rolled off the couch, straight unto the boiling steam vaporizer! She spent weeks at the Albany Medical Center Hospital in Albany, New York. It was there that she was photographed with the kind nurse who helped care for her. The poignant photo was so touching that the hospital used it as cover art for their annual report in 1977.
Because of her numerous scars, Amanda experienced bullying while growing up but this did not deter the young girl from growing up strong and confident. After numerous reconstructive surgery the scars and disfigurements are gone.
Thirty eight years after the accident took place, she took to Facebook to search for the nurse in the photo, in hopes that she gets the chance to meet and thank her in person. The search was not easy because she did not have a name for that nurse, to begin with.
Updated: see in the comments for the strongest lead…. These are pictures of me as a baby while I was being treated at…
Posted by Amanda Scarpinati on Wednesday, September 16, 2015
Still, after posting her search on Facebook, someone finally gave her a significant clue which led to her meeting with Susan Berger, the nurse in the photo who now serves as the executive vice president at Cazenovia College in New York.
Watch their tearful reunion in this video from NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt:
EMOTIONAL REUNION: Woman badly burned as a baby is reunited with the nurse who cared for her 38 years ago. http://nbcnews.to/1j1bjpQ
Posted by NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt on Wednesday, September 30, 2015
First Aid for Burns
Burns can be very painful – even the minor ones! The first thing you need to do is to keep the victim from further harm. Then, determine whether the burn is a minor or major one.
For minor burns, cool the affected area to soothe the pain. If the burn area is near tight items like rings, bracelets, or clothing, remove these before the spot swells. Bring the patient to the hospital for treatment if the burn affects major joints, much of the hands, groin, feet, or face.
For major burns, call emergency services immediately or bring the patient to the hospital.
Unlike minor burns which you can immerse in cold water, do not do so for major burns! Remove restrictive items as burn areas can quickly swell up. Do not remove burned clothing stuck to the victim’s skin.